Friday, February 23, 2007

Here's to you racist-classist Hot Guy!

What if you were on a first date and the first question someone asked you was deeply personal and offensive? How would you react? Well. I don't think my reaction was true to form, because I was blinded by his incredibly sexy South African accent and gorgeous smile. One of the first questions Mr. Elite asks me is, "What is up with Puerto Rican women and Black guys? Aren't they worried about diseases?" Umm, excuse me? Come again? Pardon? I was completely caught off guard. How do you begin to answer that? Let alone to someone who comes from a different continent where in fact, the Black population may be more affected by diseases, however it may have something to do with, I don't know, GLORIFIED INSTITUTIONAL RACISM?! I am very opinionated and will not shy away. But I think a valuable part of being open minded--or the true definition of the term--is to listen to the other side. Which I did. With that gorgeous accent, and those beautiful white teeth, and that hair... wait wait wait, he is saying things that I don't agree with! Or do I? Truth be told I am conservative on a lot of issues. And while I acknowledge the institutional barriers set up for people in this country, I believe in the power of motivation. If you want to be something, you will become it. With that said, that takes incredible strength, that is not always easy to muster when you are living in the projects and have to pass people shooting heroin to get to your apartment. All experiences I have lived and my mother has lived. And somehow we left those places and did not get sucked in. Was it the love of family? Was it our own desire to be more? I can't tell you. I can tell you unfortunately my story is the exception to the rule. I realize that everyday of my life. I am where I am because of a unique set of circumstances and a unique blend of blessings.

Needless to say, the conversation stirred a lot in me. And while I was not thrilled with his opinions, I was not appal ed. And more importantly, I appreciated his honesty. I hate when people say, "I'm not racist!" but then are truly surprised when they hear Barack Obama speak and say, "Wow, he's articulate!" What, did you expect him not to be? That is racism in my mind. So anyway. I would like to see his pearly teeth and sexy accent again, but maybe we can talk about movies, and hobbies next time.

2 comments:

HelloBettyLou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HelloBettyLou said...

Don't be blinded by the pretty and forsake your true self for it either. He sounds like a tool.